Cantare Children’s Choirs of Oakland provides high-quality choral music education to over 2150 students weekly in underserved neighborhoods across Oakland. We provide general music education during the school day, tuition-free after-school elementary choirs, plus an advanced choir for 6-12 graders. Cantare seeks to nurture a compassionate community across various social boundaries through the power of music, building lifelong connections with our students and their families. Cantare is an inter-generational organization that also supports two adult community choirs. Visit www.cantareconvivo.org to learn more about our organization.
Cantare Children’s Choirs of Oakland is seeking a dynamic, experienced, bi-lingual (Spanish and English) music teacher to join our team of professional Teaching Artists, working with grades K-5, teaching in-school general music classes during the school day and directing after-school choir rehearsals.
· Prepare and teach weekly lessons at elementary school level (both in Spanish and English)
· Represent Cantare with high standards of professionalism and punctuality
· Build relationships with students by engaging school staff and its community
· Organize performances at school events, in collaboration with Cantare and school staff
· Prepare and direct weekly choral rehearsals for choir, and direct at Cantare combined-choir concert.
· Attend paid professional development sessions and staff meetings
· Complete time sheets, administrative paperwork, student evaluations on time
· Passion for Cantare’s mission of nurturing a compassionate community
· Commitment to artistic and educational excellence
· Ability to teach music in Spanish immersion classroom with enthusiasm and compassion
· Familiarity with materials from diverse traditions
· Effective skills in classroom management, choral conducting and vocal technique
· Experience working with elementary-aged students, preferably in urban settings
· B.A. or equivalent in music field, experience in Kodály music education preferred
· In-school: Approximately 15 classes (45 mins each) weekly over 30 weeks. One site: classes will be between 9 am-noon on Fridays, plus performances (dates/time upon agreement). Second site: classes will be scheduled at mutually convenient times for you and the school site.
· After-school: 1-2 rehearsals (60 mins each) in the afternoons on days to be decided, plus performances; professional accompanist provided every other week and for performances.
· Professional development sessions and staff meetings (dates/time upon agreement)
Start Date: Late August. Teaching Artists enter a yearly employment contract with Cantare.
Salary: $41-49 per in-school lesson, $80 per after-school choir rehearsal, scaled depending on experience.
Professional development opportunities are included, along with a budget for supplies, equipment, and access to library of music and materials. Teaching Artists receive support from Cantare’s artistic and administrative staff. We have a dynamic team of Teaching Artists with diverse talents and experiences who support one another, collaborate musically, and share materials.
Successful candidates will need to pass background check. Cantare Con Vivo is an equal opportunity employer. Must have reliable transportation to school sites. Must be able to lift 20 lbs and to sit or stand for long periods of time. This is a part-time, non-exempt position.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Conway Tan, Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2018.