San Francisco Boys Chorus (SFBC)
Marin site Apprentice, Prep & Junior Chorus Rehearsal Director and Musicianship Instructor
Music Education Director Assistant Artistic Director
Location & Hours: 1123 Court St., San Rafael, CA Tuesdays 3:45‐6:15
The Marin Rehearsal Director & Musicianship Instructor will instruct boys in the Apprentice Chorus (ages 7‐10) and Prep/Junior Chorus (ages 5‐7) at SFBC’s San Rafael Campus from August 29, 2018 through early June 2019.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Plan and execute rehearsals and musicianship classes in coordination with and under the auspices of the San Francisco‐site Chorus Directors.
2. Program Delivery:
· Engage, motivate and challenge choristers in their choral singing and expected performance practices; foster chorus social and professional culture according to SFBC standards.
· Include in rehearsals music literacy techniques utilizing moveable do, rhythm syllables, and level‐appropriate instruction in score reading.
· Instruct choristers on proper use of head voice and healthy vocalization through activities, games, and choral repertoire.
· Teach musicianship using the SFBC Kodály inspired curriculum.
· Help ensure chorister on‐site safety and security.
· Support the choristers at performances throughout the year as scheduled TBD. Represent SFBC at various public functions as mutually agreed upon.
· Complete and ensure the timely distribution of chorister mid‐year and year‐end assessments.
· Work closely with South Bay Site Director, App/Junior/Prep Directors and Music Education Director to prepare choristers for promotion into the next chorus level.
· Participate in employment evaluation and program evaluation at end of year.
4. Administrative Responsibilities:
· Take attendance/roll call at all rehearsals and enter weekly into chorus database (Charms). Ensure the Music Education Director is immediately informed of attendees not on the register.
· Contribute to each SF‐site Director’s monthly news email to families.
· Attend twice‐annual staff professional development workshops; once‐monthly music faculty meetings (usually the fourth Monday, 7:00 p.m.); and thrice annual new chorister auditions.
· Thoroughly read and understand SFBC Parent Handbook and chorister behavior guidelines and promote these to choristers and families consistently; promote chorister recruitment.
· Communicate with parents regarding behavior, attendance and other issues, and develop behavior management plans with parents as needed. Communication modalities may include email, phone conferences and in‐person conferences with follow‐up and summary emails.
o Collaborate with App/Junior/Prep Directors, Music Education Director, and Program Manager as needed to determine disciplinary actions. Site and level Directors and Music Education Director to be cc’d on all parent correspondences regarding behavior.
· Bachelors Degree in Music, preferably with an emphasis in education and/or early childhood development and experience with the Kodály method.
· Interest and desire in working with children and developing their musical aptitude.
· Two or more years of experience teaching music to children in groups.
· Choral conducting experience and/or training and familiarity with choral repertoire.
· Understanding of vocal development in children.
· Ability to work as a team player with a flexible and positive attitude.
· Proven record of classroom management that motivates and encourages young singers.
· Ability to play the piano is preferred, but not required.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to Jennifer Cooper, Music Education Director, San Francisco Boys Chorus, firstname.lastname@example.org
The San Francisco Boys Chorus is an internationally acclaimed Grammy‐award winning not‐for‐profit music education and performing arts organization at the heart of San Francisco’s cultural center. The chorus serves over 220 singers from 50 Bay Area cities and more than 120 schools at three Bay Area campuses.
The San Francisco Boys Chorus is an Equal Opportunity Employer.