TITLE: CHOIR CONDUCTOR, BOYS CHOIR, GRADES 1 through 3 Reports to: Training Dept. Director, Artistic Director Hours: Part-time. Afterschool rehearsals. Occasional weekend performances and other events.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Direct Boy’s Training 1 (BT1), the entry-level choir in the Training Department for boys in Grades 1 through 3.
Piedmont East Bay Children’s Choir - a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization – provides afterschool music programs through fifteen progressive choirs, summer camps and concerts, and also partners with major arts organizations in the San Francisco Bay area. Several of the advanced choirs tour either nationally or internationally and are the anchor for our triennial Golden Gate International Children’s and Youth Choral Festival. PEBCC is a highly rewarding place to work for those interested in providing children and young adults with an exceptional music education and performance oriented choral arts program. Founded in 1982, PEBCC is located in the Oakland/Piedmont area and has 6 full-time staff members, and two part-timers. To learn more about the work of PEBCC, please visit www.piedmontchoirs.org and www.goldengatefestival.org.
• Lead Monday, two-hour rehearsals, 4:00 pm – 6: 00 pm
• Select repertoire for the Assigned Choir as approved by the Training Department Director (unison or simple rounds)
• Plan and conduct regular weekly rehearsals that provide training in singing and vocal development, style and history per the Choir’s formal curriculum.
• Incorporate the choir’s music theory program weekly
• Conduct two semesters of regular weekly rehearsals for the Assigned Choir.
• Conduct the choir’s regular concerts and specific events.
• Attend staff meetings.
• Lead an open house rehearsal for boys trying out the choir for the first time.
• Attend departmental workshop and faculty retreat.
• Review and assess the musical and personal growth of choir members each semester and complete student evaluations.
• Greet and interact with parents at Choir rehearsals, performances, and other
events and respond professionally to their questions and concerns.
• Work with Assigned Choir’s Group Parents, Accompanist and Teaching Assistants in administering and handling rehearsal and performance logistics for the Assigned Choir.
• Provide timely attendance reports.
• Provide mid semester report as requested for dissemination to parents.
• Fully prepare for rehearsals, performances and evaluations before coming to class or event.
• Fully comply with procedures and policies of PEBCC.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Music, or Music Education (or in relevant field) plus at least two years of work experience similar to this position.
• Kodály training preferred.
• Have knowledge of treble repertoire
• Have good communication and organization skills
• Required to work some weekends depending on performance dates and times.
• Must be devoted to team efforts, be pro-active, flexible, and maintain a positive, can do, will try attitude.
COMPENSATION Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience within the salary guidelines of PEBCC.
TO APPLY Please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to: Careers at PEBCC Piedmont East Bay Children’s Choir 3629 Grand Avenue Oakland, CA 94610
If by email, please reference “Conductor ” in the subject line. All attachments should be in Word or .pdf format. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
• A full background check will be required before position is offered
• Applications accepted until position is filled.
• Piedmont East Bay Children’s Choir is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you for your interest in Piedmont East Bay Children’s Choir. We regret that we are unable to personally answer all applications. We will contact you should we feel your application is a good fit for our organization.