YWCP Dolce Singers Director Needed Young Women’s Choral Projects of San Francisco (YWCP) is seeking a choral music educator for its new, introductory level singing class, Dolce Singers, starting in September 2019.
Through a Kodály-based curriculum, young girls in Dolce Singers (ages 4-6) will build basic musicianship skills and vocal technique while actively engaging their minds, bodies and voices in folk songs and dances, music games, simple percussion playing and ageappropriate unison choral music. Dolce Singers is a non-auditioned class that will meet once a week on Saturdays from 10:00-10:45am in San Francisco, perform for parents twice a year (in December and May), and perform with the YWCP training choirs one time in March.
Young Women’s Choral Projects of San Francisco (YWCP) began in 2012 with an advanced, young women’s chorus conducted by Dr. Susan McMane. Since then, three more training choirs as well as one non-auditioned singing class were added. Both our first non-auditioned singing class and our beginning training choir have grown, so we are adding an introductory level, non-auditioned singing class focused on developing a love for singing and showing the joy of music to our youngest girls. Dr. McMane would like to meet with interested choral music educators who possess a positive attitude and enthusiasm for teaching, to envision how Dolce Singers will enhance YWCP’s offerings.
• Love of children and the ability to nurture the love of singing in each child
• Bachelor of Music (required) MM (preferred)
• In depth knowledge of age appropriate folksongs, singing games, and unison choral repertoire
• Two or more years successful experience teaching with emphasis on young singers
• Kodály certification (or currently working on obtaining certification), and experience teaching music concepts in aural, visual and written forms
• Excellent vocal technique and vocal pedagogy suited to young voices
• Strong leadership ability
• Commitment to excellence in choral artistry
• Competent rehearsal management and organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal skills desired to work with staff, volunteers, parents and singers
• Availability to teach classes on Saturdays from 10:00-10:45am, arriving 20 minutes before and staying 15 minutes after class for supervision and set-up/ clean-up of the classroom.
• Job includes creating lesson plans, teaching basic music concepts, teaching basic vocal technique, selecting repertoire, and communicating with parents as needed.
• Salary: $3500 for the academic year of September 2019 – May 2020, which includes 2 small parent performances (during class time) and one performance with the YWCP training choirs (outside of class time). There are 28 Saturday classes plus a performance with the training choirs on March 22, 2020. The first class meets on September 14, 2019 and the last class is May 16, 2020.
Interested parties should send a resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Dolce Singers Director in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until August 31, 2019, or until the position is filled.
The mission of the Young Women’s Choral Projects of San Francisco is to transform the lives of young women through exceptional artistry in choral performance and bring the expressive power of their music to the community, the nation, and the world.
Through the Young Women's Choral Projects of San Francisco participants of richly diverse socio-ethnic backgrounds find their voices as singers, artist and women in a nurturing environment that empowers them to artistic and personal excellence. The collaborative experience of high-quality music education and choral performance foster the development of each individual young woman and teach her important life skills.